- Job Title: EVENTS & PROMOTIONS SPECIALIST
- Location: Downtown Washington, MO
- Salary Range: Competitive compensation and benefits package
- Travel Required: Minimal travel for workshops or conferences
- Position Type: Full-time, salary position
- Date posted: 02-01-2018 Posting Expires: 03-02-2018
- Applications Accepted Until: 03-15-2018
- Please mail or e-mail resume, cover letter and work related references.
- E-mail: email@example.com
Subject Line: Event And Promotions Specialist Resume Submission
- Mailing Address:
Downtown Washington, Inc.
PO Box 144
123 Lafayette Street
Washington, MO 63090-4832
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Downtown Washington, Inc. is a nationally-recognized and accredited nonprofit organization dedicated to the revitalization of downtown Washington. Downtown Washington, Inc. utilizes the National Main Street Center Four-Point Approach® to commercial district revitalization, a community-driven effort to implement revitalization and economic opportunity in downtown Washington. Downtown Washington, Inc. is the 2012 Great American Main Street Award® winning community. The National Trust Main Street Center presents this award to only 3-5 communities across the nation every year.
Downtown Washington, Inc. hosts over 20 events every year, drawing thousands of people each year to our thriving and vibrant downtown. Our volunteers donate thousands of service hours each year to help ensure that downtown remains the heart of our community.
Our Mission Statement: “To promote an attractive and financially stable downtown while preserving our historic resources and enriching the community.”
The Events & Promotions Specialist works with and provides direction to committees, volunteers, interns and other organizations regarding Downtown Washington, Inc. events and promotion. This includes, but is not limited to: budgets, work plans and strategic planning. The E & P Specialist is primarily responsible for planning and providing implementation, direction and management for these events and for annual promotions plans. This person will also perform other duties as assigned by the Executive Director.
The Events & Promotions Specialist coordinates events and promotions within the downtown revitalization program, which utilizes historic preservation as an integral foundation for economic development. The E & P Specialist is responsible for the development, conduct, execution and documentation of Downtown Washington, Inc. events and promotions. The E & P Specialist supervises volunteers, interns and community service workers.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Ensure the contractual and managerial obligations in regard to Downtown Washington, Inc. events and promotions are carried out in accordance with the mission of the organization, which includes concise measurable objectives and indicators.
- Coordinate and direct the activity of the all Downtown Washington, Inc. event committees, including the organization’s primary fundraising events. Develop all work plans for these event committees. Assist committee volunteers with implementation of work plan items. Oversee the coordination of committee agendas, meetings, minutes and correspondence.
- Coordinate and direct the activity of the Promotions Committees. Develop all work plans with the guidance and direction of the Promotions Committee. Assist committee volunteers with implementation of work plan items. Oversee the coordination of committee agendas, meetings, minutes and correspondence. Some events require coordination with other community organizations.
- Secure and coordinate volunteers and interns. Delegate duties to volunteers and interns.
- Market and promote Downtown Washington, Inc., program activities and downtown as a destination through various channels including but not limited to website, social media, press releases, etc. Make media buys and oversee creation of marketing materials as outlined in the organization’s budget. All contracts or commitments must be approved by the Executive Director.
- Maintain and update data base (Maestro Community Manager) with event action plans, volunteers, etc.
- Work with the City of Washington, Washington Police Department and Washington Fire Department to establish guidelines, standards and expectations for each community event.
- Evaluate potential new events and promotions. Evaluate performance of existing events and promotions including retrospective (Stop doing, Start Doing and Continue to do)
- Maintain basic accounting for each event, including submitting check requests to Executive Director.
- Assist in obtaining event sponsorships.
- Participate in annual and quarterly training in the Main Street Four-Point Approach and other best practices as provided by the National Trust for Historic Preservation, the National Main Street Center, Missouri Main Street Connection and other professional organizations.
- Receive and respond to comments and complaints from event committees and the public or refers them to the Executive Director
The Essential Duties and Responsibilities list is intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that are to be performed.
The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar or related to the position.
- Bachelor’s degree with a minimum two years of event planning experience or any equivalent combination of experience and training that provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities. Experience working with volunteers preferred.
- Demonstrated experience and knowledge of event and promotion management.
- Proficient with Microsoft applications utilizing Word, Excel and presentation applications.
- Proficient or willing to learn Adobe applications utilizing InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator.
- Proficient with managing various social media platforms and it would be helpful to know website design for business purposes.
- Budgeting, basic accounting and strategic planning experience.
- Envisioning: is able to see the big picture and the benefits of long term perseverance, is proactive rather than reactive
- Planning & Execution: plans and organizes work effectively; proactively manages peaks and flows of workload, solves problems quickly and effectively, completes multiple tasks on time. This includes directing event committees.
- Change Management: demonstrates personal flexibility and resilience
- Collaborative Style: builds strong partnerships and alliances with others by identifying mutual goals and fostering open dialogue
- Relationships & Teamwork: builds and maintains positive relationships, works effectively with internal and external customers
- Service Focus & Empowerment: recognizes and values the importance of service to others; creates positive energy in the face of challenges
- Effective Communication: possesses strong oral/written communication, presentation skills and an active listener
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The physical activity of this position:
- Employee is frequently required to bend, walk and lift waist to overhead.
- Employee is occasionally required to reach forward and reach overhead. Employee may be required to do simple grasping and pushing/pulling.
- Employee is frequently exposed to CRT terminal work.
- Perceiving the nature of sounds at normal speaking levels with or without correction.
- Ability to receive detailed information through oral communication and to make the discrimination in sound.
- Mental acuity:
- Ability to make rational decisions through sound logic and deductive processes.
- Repetitive motion:
- Substantial movements (motions) of the wrist, hands and/or fingers.
- Expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word including those activities in which they must convey detailed or important spoken instructions to other workers accurately, loudly or quickly.
- The physical requirements of this position:
- Employee is required to sit continuously and walk frequently in indoor and outdoor settings.
- Employee must lift/carry a light (1-30 lbs.) load frequently.
- The visual acuity requirements including color, depth perception and field vision:
- The worker is required to have close visual acuity to perform an activity such as: preparing and analyzing data and figures; transcribing; viewing a computer terminal; and/or extensive reading.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The conditions the worker will be subject to in this position:
- The worker is subject to environmental conditions. Protection from weather conditions but not necessarily from internal temperature fluctuations.
- Standard 40 hour work week but may work 50 hour work week from time to time.
Click here to download a PDF version.